A few years ago I became really unhappy with my life, feeling lost and lonely. I toyed with the idea of moving overseas but it wasn't until 2 years later that I put that plan into motion. Last year I sold my house & car, and either donated or sold almost all my possessions. I was moving to London to teach science and I was very excited!
Due to covid, this plan then was put on hold. 9 long months I was waiting, with no idea when I would be able to go, and no permanent living situation. In the end, I had enough and decided it was time to go, pandemic or no pandemic. My mental health needed to go, and schools were operating.
So on Wednesday I started the process and applied for a new exemption to leave Australia and booked my covid test in Sydney. Yesterday I boarded a Japan Airlines flight bound for London via Tokyo. We had less than 20 people on the flight, which meant we had plenty of space. Excellent food and outstanding service made the flight a great experience.
The 7.5hrs transit in Tokyo Haneda airport was long. Very long. There was not one single shop open, and only 2 vending machines with a small selection of drinks and snacks. For the last 2hrs of the transit we were allowed entry into the JAL Sakura First Class Lounge which was nice as we got some free food and drinks.
The second flight was busier than the first but less than 30 people I think. As it was 3am we literally took off and then went to sleep. Again we had great food and great service. Highly recommend JAL for future flights when the pandemic is over.
In London Heathrow Airport we were hded to the customs area to join the several hundred other people all queued up. Social distancing was limited and there seemed to be people from red countries mixing with people from other countries. Not a great start.
After a 1hr Uber ride I finally arrived at my hotel. It is a wonderful apartment with full kitchen facilities and washing machine in a studio unit. The heated floor and towel rails in the bathroom are a nice touch!
There is a Tesco Express and Sainsbury Local just down the road so I went and got some groceries to feed me for the next week or so. I have a 10 day self-isolation period so future groceries will be delivered if possible.
My covid tests arrived today too. I have to self test on days 2 and 8 and post the samples off. I have to voluntarily stick the swab down my own throat and nose. Yuk! Hopefully they both come back negative so I can leave after my 10 days.
I will post updates on this blog maybe weekly, posting about my experiences, frustrations, places I visit and trips I take (after restrictions are lifted of course).
Follow along to see what I am up to!